View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
stillsearching
EcoModding Apprentice

belt drive 2nd starter mod for P&G? (like mild hybrids)

I did my first experiment with P&G recently and I came to two conclusions... i'm not comfortable with the risk of killing my only starter (reliability means more to me than a few more % of fuel efficiency), and i'm not comfortable restarting the engine by the clutch either, it's really jerky.

I've driven a Saturn Vue redline, which has some kind of small assist hybrid motor which is made to automatically restart the engine, after it auto-stops at street lights. I'm wondering what the feasibility would be of hooking up either something similar (which I assume is a stouter motor than a typical starter for how effortlessly it gets the engine back up again - it's under a half second instead of the 2-4 seconds normal) or simply crafting some kind of DIY mount and using a normal but robust starter (like from a pickup, even though it's starting a 4cyl compact engine) to have a 2nd way to start the vehicle thats alot easier to swap out from the top side of the engine.

I'm sorry but it really just feels like i'm abusing my car otherwise with the engine shutdown/restart cycle, whether I use clutch or starter. I dont want to go through the work of putting in a clutch prematurely (with how hard it was last time) and I don't want to in the middle of winter have to be swapping out a starter just to get to college in the morning when I no longer have use of the garage. >_< With 200,000 miles and not having the money for a replacement I have to baby it. I don't mind adding on some 2nd part that, if I break it, no harm no foul I just stop P&G-ing. Or I can swap it with little hassle just by opening the hood and undoing a few bolts where I design it myself to be an easy-easy swap.

Any suggestions of what the best way to go about this would be welcome.