View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
WesternStarSCR
Busting Knuckles Often

Blue Maxx - '04 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT
Team Chevy
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)

Tink's Van - '08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)

2004 5 Speed Goldrolla - '04 Toyota Corolla CE
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
While I can't add anything on the tech side of your question, you are absolutely correct in putting reliability and safety before fractional FE gains. Any cost of premature wear on components, or being in an unsafe situation will cost more in time and treasure than your gain. EOC is a great method for FE gain, but has to be done in ways to allow quick reaction times. I have to imagine most experienced people doing EOC drive a particular route mostly and are in a car that they are comfortable with having a bit more wear on the clutch and or starter. Safety first. Reliability, then FE gain.

I can add that a OEM found that a mild hybrid concept like that Vue you drove can gain about 10% FE if using it for EOC at speeds > 15 Kph and < 100 kph. So to finish my thought, yes there are mild hybrids OEMs are still going after, low hanging fruit with reasonable costs.

But adding extra component like you mention is a good idea, just not sure it is bang for buck. Like your clever idea though. Cheers, Sean