View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
stillsearching
EcoModding Apprentice

Well i'm not worried about a safety issue - I have manual steering and plenty of braking ability. I'm as comfortable swerving or braking with the engine off as otherwise.

It's mostly a reliability and maintenance issue. My experiment with P&G and EOC over 100 miles recently gave me an eye-widening fuel efficiency increase - I didn't measure it but I was very intrigued. I did a very wide get up to as high as 75mph when downhill then coast to 40mph routine engine off, or maybe 65mph straight and level.

What I dont want to do is to have to put in a new clutch sooner or a new starter during any winter when I can only work outdoors currently and not in the garage. Even if it may involve some hacking to put on a 2nd starter that is a nontrivial amount of work, the peace of mind knowing that "P&G killed my starter and thats why i'm either paying a pro to change it or late to work today" is an insurance policy i'm willing to put a little work into, at least on a future vehicle if not necessarily this one. Hell i've wanted dual starters (maybe even an air start?) on off road deep wilderness vehicles before to go with the dual alternators that are easy to add for a long time... since one future vehicle I hope to P/G on will be a pickup i'm not averse to that kind of tinkering.
The Following User Says Thank You to stillsearching For This Useful Post:
WesternStarSCR (05-12-2013)