View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,594 Times in 7,077 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
If you'll look at the graphics at #515 permalink (I think) of the Aerodynamic Streamlining Template Part-C thread you'll find a drag table for the streamline bodies of revolution.
I utterly and completely didn't understand a word of that but it sure sounded cool. : D
It essentially is a pointer to: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post362860. Aerohead doesn't do hyperlinks.

Quote:
Some lumpy looking shapes could be had, with wierd things going on, but there wouldn't be much drag - for instance tumbles of air could be happening in the pickup bed behind a truck, but it was a localized occurance, and the air coming over the top of the cab just maintained a separation from the 'tumbling' spinning air, so that laminar flow was never broken.
Laminar flow adheres to the surface by definition. Once there is underlying turbulence it's no longer laminar. As for 'lumpy shapes' compare the M-B Boxfish or your typical porpoise to the Template, similar Cd but the 'lumps' are carefully considered.

The Template is seductive because it offers simplification, by ignoring necessary things like the driver's sight-lines, ingress/egress, &etc. A look at the racers at Bonneville Salt Flats suggests the pointy nose offers benefit above 300mph.

Quote:
I would skip coroplast and start with fiberglass
Consider materials like Polymetal and MaxMetal, both have thin aluminum skins on a 3-6mm plastic core.

Last edited by freebeard; 05-12-2013 at 01:49 PM..