View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
This is undoubtedly true for the average driver.

But eco-drivers / hypermilers who maximize neutral coasting up to turns/stops (ie. minimize brake pedal use) will definitely see a marked improvement in sub/urban fuel economy with reduced rolling resistance, IF they're able to take advantage of the longer coasting opportunities. (Not everyone is - depends a lot on driving environment.)

I saw a significant efficiency improvement in my 100% suburban usage when I put LRR tires on my electric car... because they allowed me to coast significantly further. (See: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eet-19126.html )
Just to be clear, the fuel economy improvement with tires with low RR would be there regardless of whether the driver coasts or not. Put a different way, the fuel savings is always there: 2 ounces less per mile is still 2 ounces per mile (which would translate into mpg). How that translates into a percent improvement is what is affected by how the car is driven.

Certainly a guy driving around the city isn't going to go as far on a tank of gas, so his ability to discern these differences is reduced.

But where this becomes a problem is in tire wear. Changing tires more often just to achieve fuel economy improvement may not work out in the final cost analysis.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!