View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 02:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
nwbabybronco
Hermit

Aubergine - '94 Ford Ranger 4x4
90 day: 19.14 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbabybronco View Post

No, I'm not a jeep owner, but I may be some day. I presently have a Ranger, which if you stretched the photo would show basically what I want to do to it.

My ideas on the paint chop were focused on reducing turbulence and wake size. I pushed the bottom of the windshield forward rather than the top back. The rear roof was modeled after these. I eyeballed based on info from aerohead.

The Jeep flares are like that of a Beetle, where there should be a bunch of turbulence behind them. I tried to smooth the trailing edge back to the main body. I have no idea how much it would help.

On my Ranger, and therefore I figured on the Jeep too, I'm planning a full undertray. Imagine a flat plane connecting the sides of the side skirts all the way back and you get the idea.

My other idea for Jeeps, since the bumper sticks out so far, is to put on a clear plastic sheet or bubble from the top edge of the bumper to the leading edge of the hood and fenders. I don't know if that's radical enough for you.

With laws as lax as they seem to be for Jeep bodies, you could basically build an Insight-like body for it (depending on your state's laws). In Washington it could be done as long as you have a safety glass windshield, turn signals, and at least as many doors as the original body started with.

Last edited by nwbabybronco; 06-22-2008 at 03:16 AM..