View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #81 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Tyler View Post
as that document shows, the diodes are a big loss at high currents, at low current there is the magnetic losses and also the fan etc. I have been thinking of doing the mosfet rectifier thing , but using an international rectifier chip that does the same thing.
de-energising the alternator removes the magnetic losses, but the windage losses are still there. Some cars now have electromagnetic clutches on their alternators, they would not do this if it did not reduce consumption. Failing this, how about removing the alternator fan and using a controlled electric fan instead, and also disconnecting the feild winding when it would help?
Perhaps getting better shaped fan blades will help. From what I recall, alt fan blades are often stamped steel flaps, not propeller style blades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Tyler View Post
that's great for the bottom diodes, what will you do for the top ones? I can't see an easy way of doing that with this chip.
How difficult is this to do? [edit] What I really mean is how difficult is it to assemble this more efficient item and install? I'm running an underdrive pulley on my truck, and if I could also increase alternator efficiency, that'd be double good...

Last edited by ECONORAM; 05-16-2013 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: clarify