Thread: 2002 Dodge Neon
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
terror_storm
EcoModding Lurker

2002 Neon White - '02 Dodge Neon Base
90 day: 34.12 mpg (US)
2002 Dodge Neon

I bought this Neon last fall with the intention of fixing and flipping it. It had a blown clutch and was dirty etc generally uncared for. I changed the clutch only to find out the transmission had worn synchronizers. Picked up a trans at the junkyard and installed it, new fluid and axle seals. I have also done the timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, coolant, tstat, spark plugs, shifter bushings, air filter, ball joints, all 4 struts & mounts, clutch master & slave cylinders, complete rear brakes drums/shoes/hardware/adjusters/cylinders/hoses, etc etc I still have to change the control arm bushings, install tie rod ends, get an alignment, and tires before next winter. Right now I think I'm around $2000 including the purchase price, hopefully I'll come in under $2500 all said and done.

It's got 195k miles now, and it's got some rust. The interior cleaned up really well. It runs very well, doesn't burn any oil, doesn't overheat. It does have some piston slap when the ambient is below 40ish, but that goes away in 30 seconds or so.

I've put about 2,000 miles on it at this point. I always top off the tank, let the pump click its self off. My lowest mpg was 31mpg, then I had a couple 34's, then a 36mpg tank, and finally yesterday a 38.3mpg tank. I have been rewarded by careful and thoughtful driving. My previous car was a '98 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8L V6 5sp which got 20-24mpg. My monthly fuel expenses have been cut nearly in half ($200+ down to around $100)

I have an UltraGauge that I use for feedback to adjust driving techniques. I haven't done anything extreme as of yet, I keep an eye on traffic up ahead, glide down hills and to stops, and very occasionally switch off the engine at long lights.

I plan to mod the car with respect to aero efficiency, and also to make EOC easy, simple, and safe(r).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	13193   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	13194  

Last edited by terror_storm; 06-10-2013 at 10:29 AM..