View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #360 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
pneumatic version

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
I'm planning on using the same waterproof wood glue that I've been using to glue the foam together, for the fiberglass, too. I am going to focus on finishing this prototype to get to testing it - only the functional problems will get fixed.

Do they make a flexible version of the pneumatic longboard? I'm only on the second abrasive sheet - I bought the better 3M ones, and the foam is obviously easy to work.
I've not seen such an animal (I'd want one myself!).
At Oshkosh,Alexander Sport Air was doing composite clinics.They had the luxury of flex boards with each grit of 3M paper ready to go:30,80,150,220.
They could really get after it!
After a coat of glass and some micro-spheres they were ready for the lighter wet-sanding to dial in the final contours.Two-'color' primer guide-coats and extreme side-lighting would reveal highs and lows.
Running the hand over the wetted surface was the acid test.
Tedious,but flawless surface quality.
Stainless steel flex spines can be handy for spreading filler and micro-spheres over compound surfaces as well.Stainless doesn't have the memory of other metals and bends into a nice arc.Get 'em into acetone or vinegar fast enough and they're easy to keep clean.