View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
WesternStarSCR
Busting Knuckles Often

Blue Maxx - '04 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT
Team Chevy
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)

Tink's Van - '08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)

2004 5 Speed Goldrolla - '04 Toyota Corolla CE
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
+1 for different cars - different setups - different variables

My choices are as simple as knowing if I am going to have to stop soon or not.

When I back off the throttle, I can feel the differences between being in 4th on my auto trans, or if I slide into neutral. I go much farther when i am cresting a hill at 60 then slip into neutral, than if i keep it in D and take foot off of gas.

The point I saw on the "Hypermiling an iVTEC Honda" thread was basically yes, one can argue that instant Fuel Consumption is higher in neutral at speed then at DFCO.

But that does not account for the ENERGY lost by having the engine being turned by the wheels in DFCO. The energy lost more than makes up for potential idle consumption for x amount of seconds.

I have no UG or SG, but at least in my car, I have learned the spots on my route, and the situations, to either just stay backed off and in gear (approaching traffic or a light) vs putting in in neutral from time to time (cresting a hill, no traffic behind me to stack up, and a nice long roll to the next flat or hill when i am doing about 45 and put it back into D).

If nothing else, try to 'feel' what your car is doing, and it may answer your question.

YMMV

Cheers,