View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #85 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Getting closer to that finished point so I thought I'd update my costs.

$1,215 for 3/4 of the GBS lithium battery pack.

$1,536 for the last pack ($620) plus battery management boards, CPU, LCD screen, charger, shunt, low voltage cut off board.

$59.14 for shipping from ElitePowerSolutions.com there was a surcharge because of the lithium batteries being a hazard.

$144.08 for a 10amp 48v to 12v SurePower DC to DC converter, there are cheaper options but this one is automotive grade and sealed.

$44.02 for Stainless steel bolts and washers for the lithium batteries (they came with cheap SS bolts with heads that strip out) I ended up paying extra on shipping because I miscounted how many I needed the first order.

I currently have all of the parts spread out and connected on my desk, I've had one small set back, I found one of the cell BMS boards is bad, it's voltage reading is off so it's telling the BMS CPU that the battery is full/over charged, but I have a RMA number so I just have to mail it back, in the mean time I have that board disconnected and the charger on, a separate volt meter on that one cell so I can keep an eye on it while charging.
The cells showed up out of balance so I need to do a full charge and let the BMS balance the cells with their built in restive load, the charger also has a high voltage cut off in case voltage of any one cell gets to high.

I still don't have the battery box built for the lithium batteries but I'm almost done with the design along with an alternate design that is going to be easier to build if the steal fabrication shop doesn't charge me to much for bending steel plate.