View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
ttsupra2503
EcoModding Lurker

Colossus - '03 Toyota 4runner sr5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedTheHead View Post
Heh, I think a "Powerstroke delete kit" is a bit rich for my blood.

It has a SuperCab and it's really not all that heavy compared to the competition. When I got it, the previous owner had it weighed on a public scale and it clocked in at 6,400 pounds and some change. That was before I removed the ramming grille, step bars, bed toolbox, and conventional rear tow hitch. I wasn't able to weigh those things or the truck since then but they certainly felt like they added about 300 pounds or more! The fifth wheel hitch is about 110 lbs. So on balance, it should still be under 6,400.

I was looking at the vehicle stats of Diesel Dave and Big Dave, and their trucks weigh in at 6,350 and 7,900 lbs, respectively. Big Dave's "Red Baron" 2000 F350 is listed at 26 MPG, and it's basically a larger, heavier version of my truck. And Diesel Dave's 32 MPG CTD Ram blows my mind! Is the Cummins engine really that much more efficient than the 7.3 PSD? Our trucks are nearly the same weight!
To sum it up... yes.. they are that much more efficient and that much better of an Engine. They produce more torque which is needed for pulling trailers and getting that mileage that they get so often. One of my friends owns a 2001 dodge cummins 24valve duelly 5 speed. He gets over 30mpg while still having access to over 1000ft lbs of torque. I remember the day he towed a 50 foot barge up onto the shoreline with his truck.

Depending on what you want to do, you might consider going to a toyota tacoma. They do most everything a larger truck can do (tow 5-8 thousand pounds) while getting 9L/100km when empty. You are gonna pay money for them.. I see them up in Canada at around 14 thousand dollars. I drive the 4runner version right now but will be switching over later this year. I have hauled 6500 lbs like it wasn't there and the truck has a 5 speed auto and a better rating. If your hauling more weight you should stay with the diesel.

ps. gas is cheaper up here then diesel and gas can be converted to LPG which is .79 c a Liter.