View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #39 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Update for May 4, 2013

I talked to one welder about using the 2002 honda civic axles and a set of 2006 axles to make one set of axles the fit into the 2002 transmission and also fit into the 2006 wheels. The 2002 axles would be cut off in the 'middle' of the shaft and welded to 2006 honda civic axles that are cut off to get the distance correct between the wheels.

He did not say it was impossible. He made it sound hard to do, and that it would need to be machined when it was done to get it balanced properly ... but at 60 mph the tire spins just under 1000 rpm. Balance is not critical at this low speed, is it? He was not interested in doing the work. And he had no suggestions about who else locally may be interested in the work.

So ... I talked to a machinist about the same task, and the machinist was not interested, either. He did ask if the diameter of the splined shaft on the 2002 axle was larger or smaller than the splines on the 2006 wheels. He said it would be a smaller job to machine the 2002 axles to fit the 2006 wheels, or to machine an adapter to have the 2002 axles fit into the 2006 wheels. Unfortunately, he's not interested in the work. He just offered the advice that this approach would be less time and more reliable.

I need to find some custom car guys that can answer some of these questions! Isn't this sort of thing done pretty regularly? Maybe the welder and the machinist were being polite. I'd have been OK with 'that works OK, but I'm busy making more money with simpler jobs' instead of making me think I'm on the wrong track.