View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #129 (permalink)
TornadoRed
TDI Driver

2003 Golf TDI - '03 Volkswagen Golf TDI GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationtime247 View Post
Got this trailer new. Hoping that it would serve me well taking my motorcycle and tool box 2400 miles west on my move to California.
(snip)
Getting a trailer was a cost effective move for me. Renting a U haul trailer would have ran me $500. A U-Haul truck almost $1200 not including fuel. The Aztek has a tow rating of 3500 after installing the tow hitch. Installed a trans cooler as well. This way, I get to keep the trailer and sell it later if I need to upgrade. I'm liking the trailer idea. Should of gone this route a long time ago.
My story is exactly like yours, except I moved from California, in the summer of 2008 when diesel was $5/gallon. I couldn't afford a U-Haul truck so bought a 4'x8' utility trailer off Craigslist, then sold or gave away everything that would not fit. I ended up making the entire trips at 53-55 miles per hour, which sucked -- I never want to travel that far that slowly ever again. I downshifted on every upgrade and every downgrade, to keep the inlet temps down and keep the trailer under control. (The trailer was overloaded, to say the least.)

If I had it to do over, I would have spent more and bought a better hitch. I've got the Hidden Hitch, which worked fine then and since. But I'd rather have an even stronger one, for even greater security.