View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Grid tie testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
... I'm also going to get grid tie working. gasp... Oh no, not that. LOL. Sorry, the solar power forums are very "the proletariate shant discuss such things. Far to complicated! You are banned!!!" I'm not sure a good way to test it out yet, but I don't think it'll be very hard...
If you have a 120V generator you can set up your own 'grid' and do some testing with your inverter syncing to that. Some of the small generators don't regulate very well, particularly with no load ... so you may have to put a load onto the generator, like a hot plate, so that the frequency stabilizes and your inverter can synchronize to it.

Using a 220V generator would be a better test, but it is harder to keep the loads relatively balanced on both 120V 'phases'.

AND you can test that the output of the inverter shuts itself off when the 'grid' goes down (turn off the generator or trip the output breaker) ... so your inverter does not try to power up your whole neighborhood when a power company breaker trips.

One step further would test the load regulation on the inverter by adding a hair dryer load to your isolated little grid and see if the load on the generator gets higher (easy to tell by the sound of the motor) or if your inverter picks up all of the additional load. Turn off the dryer ... again, which one dropped the load? Generator or inverter?

Another INSPIRING project. I'm EAGER to read all about it!
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (05-20-2013)