View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Occasionally6
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I don't have any actual stats, but, I believe that statement is backwards. I believe that a properly sized turbo uses its waste gate only at high loads.
Isn't that what I said? Reread my post in the context of the post I was replying to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
Current turbochargers use a waste gate to dump excess exhaust gas around the turbocharger once the desired boost (compressor work) is achieved.
It's really interesting to play around with the variables in the MatchBot page pgfpro provided the link to.

Quote:
There is one other problem here. How do you harness power from a device that is spinning at crazy rpms and is very hot? You do it with a rather complicated transmission that will cause turbo lag like you've never seen.

The bottom line is that yes, there is some wasted energy here, but harnessing it is gonna be awfully tricky if possible at all.
In addition to the turbo compounding (geared to the crankshaft) and turboprop aircraft, that problem has been solved in every gas or steam turbine power station.

If lag is an issue, there's no reason, other than conversion efficiencies, why electrical energy can't go both ways, whichever is appropriate at the time.

It will cost money to do it but it has been tried:

AutoSpeed - HyBoost