View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
C'mon people, listen to yourselves, you sound like a bunch of HHO proponents with "Cooler Gases" with "More Energy" WTH??

Bottom line, think about this, The discussion was started based on the question "How much horsepower a turbo generates at the turbine shaft?"

Who here said None? No horsepower? I'm guessing nobody. So if there is horsepower being generated by the turbine, it has to come from somewhere, and I don't think anybody is going to say it isn't coming from the engine.

Now I completely understand that if the turbocharger is using say 5HP, the net effect of it packing in more air is going to be an additional 10-20HP or something, resulting in a net gain in HP. Great. Works as advertised.

How it improves fuel efficiency? I'm not real clear on these nuances, but I don't dispute they do.

What I do dispute, is the notion that the turbocharger is running on magic fairy dust to make it propel the compressor which requires a fairly substantial amount of energy in order to raise the pressure of a large volume of air.

The energy comes from somewhere, and it is the engine. Net Gain, Yes, all day. But the turbocharger is using power to make power, and the power used is not "free".
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
mechman600 (05-22-2013)