View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harpo
EcoMudder

Harpo's Honda - '05 Honda Civic VP
90 day: 42.64 mpg (US)
ScanGuage not accurate on HEMI MDS

I drove the 2006 RAM 1500 HEMI MDS towing the 6x12 Race Trailer to Clemson last weekend. I planned my trip well, stayed at 62-65mph on I-75, drafting the slower 18 wheelers when able, then exited in Macon heading up scenic backroads. Overall 13.55mpg for 900 miles. There was some good hills mixed in and about. Stayed off Cruise Control except for some boring flat sections.

The ScanGuage freaks when I go into MDS (4 cylinder mode). I'll be cruising along at 4gpm then when the truck slips into MDS, then FF almost doubles, and instantaneous mileage readout generally doubles as well. It must take avg pulse width then multiply that value to get FF.

I'm not complaining, but just wanted to advise anyone attempting ScanGuage on MDS equipment. You won't be accurate unless you run exclusively in tow/haul where MDS is obviuously disabled, or so it appears. My tow gear is light, so I tow in OverDrive mostly as long as it's not seeking lockup in 5th.

As compared to Civic, it's terrifying the gas it uses. Heck, I can average 40mph in the Civic on what it takes to idle the Hemi.