View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #44 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
You do not burn the engine. You burn the fuel which gives up energy that was stored in it. The engine is just a device that converts energy from one form to another. It does not create or destroy energy. No engine is 100% efficient at converting one form to another so you can sometimes recover energy that is lost with another engine. Regardless the energy to drive both comes from the fuel.

I'm guessing you think that all the energy to spin the turbine comes from the piston pushing the exhaust out of the cylinder. That contributes some energy to driving the turbine but the vast majority of the energy comes from residual pressure in the cylinder at bottom dead center. The exhaust valve opens here and all this left over pressure escapes (known as blow down).

Probably because you keep stating that a turbo bogs down the engine and if it were there would be no net gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Well, no. Remember your ideal gas law from physics? PV = kT, right? So the turbo extracts heat energy from the incoming exhaust gas, lowering its temperature and hence the pressure in the exhaust system..........

Of course they need energy to run. The "for free" comes from the fact that the energy they use - the heat of exhaust gas - is energy that would otherwise go right out the tailpipe.
Well then, It appears I don't know what I'm talking about.

You two have this all figured out so I'll just leave it at that, as I've stated before it is just a nuance and not a big deal. You just go ahead and think that there is no energy required from the engine to spin the turbocharger.

In fact, I'll give you an idea to run with, you'll both be billionaires in short order, and I'll just sit here and gloat that I should have done something with this idea myself.

Here it is, Since the turbocharger does not require power from the engine, why don't you invent a HUGE turbocharger to put on the exhaust of an engine and run a generator off the turbocharger capable of 50HP, since the turbine is just running off waste gas, you get 50HP for free! Use a 3HP Honda generator for an engine and then you can use the electricity from the 3HP generator too! Now you have a 53HP Electric generator, hook this up to a motor and you have a car using 3HP worth of gas, but getting 53HP output.

PLUS

EQUALS

Elon Musk...Watch your back! I smell Nobel Prize here! This is what you're saying will work so go for it!

Good luck.