View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #42 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Update for May 14th

I got the clutch plate from the wrecker! Again, it took some time, but I got it. The splines fit nicely .. but it doesn't have holes where the holes are on the motor coupler? Do I need a drill press for this? How would I get the alignment perfect?

Oh well, I need a drill press to drill the holes in the Motor Module anyway. I've been looking for a drill press for a while now. There are not many for sale cheap!

And I got the aluminum ordered, but not the 1.25 inch 0.125 thickness architectural (more squared) tubing that the WIKISPEED designs use. It could not get here in time so I settled for the Structural tube, which has corners that are a bit more rounded. I'm bolting together the Motor Module frame instead of welding it so there should be no disadvantage to the Structural tube. I'll be picking up the aluminum on May 21 from Russell Metals in Saskatoon. I ordered one extra piece in case I am not perfect at cutting, or some cuts are not at 90 degrees

And I picked up grade 8 bolts to bolt together the aluminum frame, and aluminum nuts, and ordered Nordloc washers. The washers are EXPENSIVE (almost a dollar each) but they are supposed to be the best ... and it would suck to disassemble part of the car every couple of weeks to re-torque the bolts on the motor module frame ... the washers were an order item (even the bolt supply warehouse does not stock them!) so I will pick them up May 21. I won't have any aluminum to bolt together before then anyway.