View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #45 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Well then, It appears I don't know what I'm talking about.
You said it, not me :-)

Quote:
Since the turbocharger does not require power from the engine, why don't you invent a HUGE turbocharger to put on the exhaust of an engine and run a generator off the turbocharger capable of 50HP, since the turbine is just running off waste gas, you get 50HP for free!
Been done. For instance here TIGERS A search will find many others, starting with the mechanical turbo-compounding of WWII-era aircraft engines, and apparently even a commercial truck engine, the Detroit Diesel DD1:
Quote:
By inventing a new type of turbo compounding system, the DD15 engineers found a way to add 50 hp and still improve fuel economy by 5 percent. The system works by using a conventional Holset HX55 turbo without a wastegate that feeds into a unique "turbo compound axial power turbine" that transfers power directly to the engine flywheel. By scavenging exhaust heat that would normally fly out of the tailpipe, the "axial power turbine" is able to spin a small gearbox that helps create up to 100 lb-ft of torque when the engine is under a full load.
Detroit Diesel DD15 Diesel Engine - Diesel Power Magazine

Of course you can't get 50 HP out of a normal car engine, since you can only get out what's there (and even that's limited by thermodynamics).