View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
RobW
EcoModding Lurker

Battery Pack Voltage Question from rookie

I need some advice from some of you experts out there, because there is no-one around my area that I know of that has any dealings with this sort of thing. So I have to rely on you guys for some advice/help.

I am a rookie EV conversionist, meaning that I know just enough to be dangerous, and even less about electric vehicles.

I have a question about battery voltage. I have converted a 1983 Volvo 760 to electric. The other day when I test drove the car it seemed to be somewhat peppie when I would accelerate. After a few test drives back and forth through the yard, I knew my voltage had dropped a bit.

The car seem to be losing power and not as peppie as I thought it should for no further than it had been driven. So I decided to check each battery to see what the voltage was

I am using “6” - 12v truck batteries,. Three of my batteries are somewhat week, so I knew they would be a bit low. Battery one (negative post connected to B-) was 11.2v. Battery two was 2.8v. Batt three was 11.4v, and then the last three were above 12v on each one. That meant the total voltage was approx 60volts.

I guess my question is: how much of a negative effect would that one battery at 2v have on the total system? If I can’t even get a mile out of them, then I sure can’t risk getting out in traffic.

I am using the 144v open revolt controller
Thanks for your advice. (Unless you tell me to take it to the junk yard) 