View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Filling the tank with repeatabilty

People usually say to get an accurate reading, you gotta use the same pump at the same station all the time. I think it is because there is a huge difference in pumping speeds between stations.

So heres what I have been doing for years to get repeatable results over pumps from anywhere. And it works really well.

First of all, if the car is sitting considerably nose up or down, itll affect the fill. But I only know of a couple of stations like that, and it only affects me 1 mpg one way or the other. Next tank averages out. I tend to avoid those stations unless the price is better than the others.

Then what I do is always pump the same speed. Which is about 0.1 gallon per second, I just imagine a clock ticking in my head as I watch the gallons readout. Then when it kicks off, I pump about half that speed till it kicks off again, and it usually does in about half a gallon. Then I call it good.

Actually, this started back with one of my old cars, when I had a problem pumping the gas too fast or itd trip the spillover valve and stop the pump. Then I just got used to pumping slower and once I started really logging mpg it came in handy.

Does anyone else do this? Or does anyone else do anything better?

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
The Following User Says Thank You to wagonman76 For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (02-21-2011)