View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Adventures with Bike Trailers...

This thread is dedicated to DIY bike trailer stuff...

I've long been into bicycles and in high school put together a 2'x3' trailer out of copper pipes. The hitch arm could be extended a couple feet by screwing in an extra pipe. Used 20" wheels from Northern Hydraulics.

Bike Trailer, top by Tyler Linner - now on Ipternity, on Flickr

The top was covered in very versatile (but dangerously sharp) expanded metal. It was fantastic for bungeeing stuff down. I had removable uprights on the four corners which helped the cargo from getting into the wheels.

Bike trailer rear by Tyler Linner - now on Ipternity, on Flickr

With the extension in, I occasionally towed a 10' kayak to the nearby lake. With the extra torque it wobbled a bit with each pedal stroke, but ultimately worked fine.

So, recently I got my first "big boy job" very close to everything I need. Naturally, I got out the bikes and started doing errands on two wheels. This necessitated a bike trailer. I hopped on Craigslist and found this listed for $20. I got there and the lady only wanted $10. Score!

Hooked up to the Trek and took out the recycling, about a five mile ride total.

So, that's fun and all but for cargo use it is horribly balanced. I went back home and looked at the stillborn project I'd been working on. The challenge was to build a trailer for $30 total. I hit $25 and had no hitch; that's what led me to CL.

Looking at them side by side, I decided to use parts from both and make one trailer to suit my needs.

It's made from wooden pallet boards, a small amount of plywood, two $5-each wheels from Harbor Freight and a threaded rod axle. Once the hitch arm goes on, I'll be able to get a scrap sheet of thick-ish plastic for the top and try the thing out. The thing will have a completely flat top so I can hang stuff off the sides if need be, without worrying about hitting the wheels.

Until then, it's time to find a power screwdriver. When this thing's done it should be quite durable. The low load height means it will be able to hold a lot of stuff- anything from boxes of recycling to bags of groceries or Salvation Army furniture. Some eye hooks on the edges will help with tie-downs. I'm going to put a couple casters on the rear end so I can tip the thing upright and roll it through doorways.

Anyway, I will try to update this as the trailer progresses. I've been working on it on and off for a few weeks but would like to get it on the road sooner than later. Probably have about $40 into it now (not counting tool purchases which will last me many years).

Cheers! -Tyler

Last edited by Sven7; 05-26-2013 at 10:28 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (05-27-2013)