View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 AM   #57 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Update for May 26

With that success of yesterday - try to find out WHAT'S MAKING THAT NOISE!

Taking apart the motor from the transmission. This is HARD! Look through my garage and come up with ideas to support the motor ans transmission, but still allow them to slide together:
- put the transmission on my creeper. Use blocks to set up the motor. Failed - motor fell off the blocks when the alignment was not good enough on the spline
- block both up and use very long bolts to pull the parts together. Failed - bolts can't be tightened by hand and using a wrench takes a long time ... and still doesn't do the alignment

The alignment seems to be the big problem. The splines just won't fit!

Thanks to my stepson Andrew for the idea - put the motor VERTICAL, on blocks. Then do a manual alignment of the clutch plate over the center of the motor coupler ... so it's in the RIGHT SPOT ... GREAT IDEA!

First picture, motor standing on end 320

Transmission mounted on top of motor, alignment is OK. There is a noise and the motor will not turn by hand. I think the mounting bolts on the flywheel or on the pressure plate are hitting something. 323

So take it all apart again. HEH! The motor adpater comes off BEFORE the motor coupler .. so THAT's how you get to those Allen head screws!

Put JUST the flywheel back on. The noise is the same. Raise the flywheel a bit (maybe an eighth of an inch). The noise goes away. Measure how far the flywheel, clutch plate and pressure plate add up to above the transmission adapter. About 1.25 inches. That's more than the room I have in the transmission housing!

There are flat washers and lock washers on the transmission adapter plate. 329. Take out the flats and leave the lock washers. I took another picture, but you can't tell the difference.

Put it back together ... still a noise, but it turns. These are the bolts that hit the transmission adapter plate mounting bolts. 331. Raise the motor coupler the minimum required and screw it down with the allen head screws. 341 for the motor. 343 for the motor coupler. Put the flywheel (no noise when turning), then the clutch plate (make sure to center), then the pressure plate. All the screws in tightly. 345. Put the transmission back on top. And give it a turn ... it turns!

Now for something different. I saw a talk about centering the clutch on a motor. It recommended to set the whole thing up vertical and then run the electric motor with the mounting bolts a bit loose. The motor would center as it spun ... then tighten the bolts. This is a bit different. I want to center the clutch plate, so I will run the motor (in neutral) and press the clutch a few times to have it center, then release ... or that's the plan ..

Well, it was a bit of work to set up the batteries, controller, HVJB, LVJB, motor and transmission but it got done. And the centering worked well! I LIKE this method! There is video but it's going to take a bit to edit.

So NOW I get to put the transmission & motor horizontal, put the oil back into the transmission .. and RUN IT.

Much grunting and much cursing later (filling the transmission with oil was painful without a funnel) it was done. And I have video of the transmission running up in each gear including reverse.

Well, it's been 12 hours on and off today ... and I'm TIRED!

But there was MUCH progress today.

Too bad I had to try pressing in the clutch when everything was lying down. There's a NOISE again .. and I think it will stay until I put the motor back vertical and center the clutch! Oh well.

videos

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0320a motor on end, from above.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	13105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0323a motor and transmission.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	13106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0329a transmission adapter with flat washers.jpg