View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #81 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,819 Times in 7,276 Posts
Quote:
If I haven't brought it up earlier in this thread (forgive me if I have) I see the main functions (and system prorities)...
slowmover, you are on a roll (in a couple of ways). I don't venture beyond the forum much, but maybe your posts should be abstracted into the Wiki.

Quote:
The idea of wanting better FE for a given camper seems good, but what is the purpose for which the camper is used?
In the case of the big tricycle, it would be bug-out vehicle/urban homeless camper/land speed record holder. And yeah, a major focus of the rebody would be thermal performance. White Southern Pine contains waxes that melt and refreeze at room temperature so it acts as thermal mass. Then the insulation is piled on—vacuum microbeads 2-3" thick up[down] to conventional foam up to 5" thick sanded to a compound curve. The fabric would be shrink to fit and then doped.

The MVT trailer is interesting, but that's a lot of struts and cables. I knew a guy in the 60s who had an early 50s GMC panel truck with a skinned tubing rack on the top. It was on rollers so when he was parked it rolled back and made an awning over the rear doors. Something like that could have swing down side panels, &etc.

Quote:
The need for outdoor rooms -screened -- is almost not optional when one considers RV wear & tear. If one could move some things outside (food prep, some cooking, etc), then all is better; not just as lounging/sleeping area.
Mud room.

Quote:
Whether one is inspired by the cowboy chuckwagon (see "6666 Ranch") or railroad or construction crews throughout the 20th century one can find examples where re-inventing the wheel isn't needed in how to "see" the economy of a motorhome.
I like the image of wandering RV clans. My fantasy in the 70-80s was a convoy of VW Type II parked in a circle with a big campfire in the middle.

How's this for a prime mover: A de-comissioned fire engine with a military machinist van on the back. The PTO to the pumps could turn a shaft under the floor and belt-drive saws, lathes, trip hammers, whatever; while the van butterflies open with fold-down flooring on the sides. Crafts Faire, here we come!

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
slowmover (06-01-2013)