View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

F8L's 2012 Prius - '12 Toyota Prius Three with Solar Roof
90 day: 62.14 mpg (US)
Lowering Prius - raked or level?

I am going to lower my new Prius Plug In and I can choose between springs that keep the car level or ones that create a slight rake.

The TRD springs that come on special package Prius will lower the car approx. 1" all around.

H&R springs will create a more raked look and lower the car approx. 1.2" front and .75" in the rear.

My question is which drop is better aerodynamically speaking? The raked stance is good for downforce and may reduce the amount of air going under the car while accelerating aiding the evacuation of air out of the rear. The extra downforce scares me though. Wouldn't that increase rolling resistance?

The level stance is how Toyota set up the car and how the Performance Package comes but with the extra weight of the Plug In, I am worried that the rear may go lower which would create a very slight reverse rake or at least stay level.

The bottom of the Prius is pretty clean so I am not sure how much lowering will help or hurt.

2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles

Last edited by F8L; 05-29-2013 at 09:18 PM..