View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserwizard View Post
I took the opportunity of great weather (70F and sunny) to polish and to wax my car - exterior is slick as can be now. Bumped up tire pressures a bit to about 44 psi and then set out to visit my sister - 120 mile round trip. Scangauge readings showed 52.2 mpgs for the trip up - includes all time spent BEFORE getting on interstate and all time AFTERWARDS to get to her house. I was so upset - at the end of the interstate I had a reading of 53 mpgs but caught every stop light on red cycle (unusual) and even shutting car off at lights I lost .8 mpgs off that trip.

On the way back I had better luck with lights but the trip back never produces as good a mileage reading as the way too - ended up with 50.5 mpgs which is the best I've ever had going this way.

This is also the first time I've ever had 50/50 mileage (50 mpgs both way) in this car.

It was kinda funny - being Memorial Day weekend, the interstate was well covered by State Police - it seemed they were positioned every 2-5 miles and they were busy - you'd think people would learn. I did my 55 mph and had not a worry in the world.

Saving gas doesn't cost a lot of money - I've spent under $6 to just make the front end more smooth without altering the profile. I do coast down all hills and where possible I will sacrifice some speed going up hill to keep some mpgs - my goal is to get .1 increase in trip mpgs after each hill and those add up - sometimes I can get .3-.5 and that really helps.
Same state (Va), same technique, same vehicle manufacturer, 2011 Fiesta.
Took a ride down to the outer banks last Sunday to visit with the kids and grandkids. Reset factory MPG gauge before I started the engine. About 280 miles total, with 16 miles north once we got to Corolla.

53 MPG indicated. When I refilled the actual mileage was 50.06 429 miles on 8.57 gallons of Wall mart Regular at $3.199 per gallon, about 6.3 cents a mile in direct fuel costs. The Kuhmo Solus tires the Fiesta came with seem to do very well and I have made no mods, but I do keep it in my garage and waxed to the point where my towel slides off the front end and the car hardly gets dirty in the rain.

When I refilled the estimated range was 636 miles.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
radioranger (05-31-2013)