View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
rake

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8L View Post
I am going to lower my new Prius Plug In and I can choose between springs that keep the car level or ones that create a slight rake.

The TRD springs that come on special package Prius will lower the car approx. 1" all around.

H&R springs will create a more raked look and lower the car approx. 1.2" front and .75" in the rear.

My question is which drop is better aerodynamically speaking? The raked stance is good for downforce and may reduce the amount of air going under the car while accelerating aiding the evacuation of air out of the rear. The extra downforce scares me though. Wouldn't that increase rolling resistance?

The level stance is how Toyota set up the car and how the Performance Package comes but with the extra weight of the Plug In, I am worried that the rear may go lower which would create a very slight reverse rake or at least stay level.

The bottom of the Prius is pretty clean so I am not sure how much lowering will help or hurt.
Long ago,HOT ROD Magazine published an aerodynamics article which included 'inclination' research conducted by General Motors.This would be something you'd only be able to dial in in the wind tunnel,so I don't know about advice.
Some really low-drag concepts will drop the nose while raising the tail for optimum low drag.
I don't know if you could just get lucky.