View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #562 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
There is no set way to use the taper in plan view. This has gone around & around in other discussions, mainly here in this thread, post #409 seems to be where the thing started. I’m pretty sure we concluded that the template would be applied pretty well if we use the one from the profile for the top/plan view as well. This is due to the fact that we don’t want the air coming together any faster in one place than the other. Since we know the profile application sets the size of the curve for the top optimally, than we should match that for the sides. Remember the problems really start for us when there are drastic pressure differences in close proximity to each other. So it is better to go too long, than too short when applying the template curve. I still feel putting the template together bottom to bottom as illustrated in post #413 is far too aggressive.

In short, we’ll do pretty dern good if we use the template we generate from the side view as the top view template as well.

Here’s a wrinkle to all this, much like the template application yields diminishing returns as you go further out, I believe that as we get closer to the ideal shape, striving for perfection, or straying from it by some, these small deviations from ideal will have only very minor impact on the achieved Cd. So while we sweat the details as to what is perfection, getting close will still yield some stunningly good results as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (06-02-2013)