View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Possibilities

Yes a full tank (ideally more) would be more statistically sound. Meanwhile, a couple thoughts. Less weight could improve FE city. Different gas. Others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETZcorp View Post
First, I just want to say I already know this has been discussed to death here. Now, moving on.

I've always driven the Dakota with the tailgate installed and up. All indications showed that at highway speeds, that was the way to go. I knew that every vehicle reacts differently to it, but I'd never seen anyone show a statistically significant increase.

Then, a week ago I was on my way home (night time and raining) and noticed a gorgeous red first-gen Insight sitting in what looked like a dealership lot. I turned around to check it out. Turns out it wasn't for sale, and had a CVT anyway. I go to back out the way I came in, in neutral letting the Dakota roll back at sub-walking pace. Then it stops mysteriously. Whet the hell? I couldn't see anything out the back, I hadn't hit any of the other cars... I got out and discovered that a light pole (with lights off) had located itself INSIDE my rear bumper and folded my tailgate like a banana! It was about 2" around and almost entirely solid. If someone hit it at 15 it'd cut the car in half. Obviously, I was pissed.

A few nights later I decided to take the tailgate off, because it was so hideous. I also took the opportunity to remove my pair of 50lb sand bags, which hadn't noticeably affected mileage when I added them, and allowed the Dakota to drive at normal speeds without doing big burnouts and snap oversteer (only small burnouts and controlled oversteer). Now that it's June, they're not necessary anymore unless I want to drag race on the street, which I don't. I've been driving it like this for about a week now. Now, normally I get to half-tank at about 150-160mi in normal commuting. I was expecting about the same now, but I just crossed half-tank at 195mi. I've never seen that before. Now, the weather is getting better here lately, although still happens, so that's going to improve things as well. But, I've also got a tire that's leaking pressure and is almost always low.

We'll see how the full tank comes out, but so far I'm very surprised at what I'm seeing.