View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #575 (permalink)
jime57
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
To be of practical value, one could continue to use the template in profile, but not in plan view. The step to 3D and to fit typical body styles is yet another reach, for another day.

Let's get a working plan view first, and then resolve the transition from square to round.
I think that this is the essence of what you have been saying, and I agree to a considerable degree. But, as someone else said "the perfect is the enemy of the good" or something like that. Folks want to proceed and get some boattails built. Already, we are seeing folks build to the template profile and achieve considerable improvements.

Just a few days ago I was at a large Lowes parking lot eyeballing the cross sections of a bunch of various vehicles. In doing so, I realized that in the general case, the cross section is a hexagon. There are right angles at the bottom, an obtuse angle in the middle, where the windows taper inward, and obtuse angles at the top - with all the angles slightly rounded. I seems to me that if someone with CFD software and skill wanted to model the transition to a semicircular transom, this would be the correct "front end."

It is just a suggestion. I have neither the s/w nor skills to do the model. I do think that such a model might have considerable potential to take the template idea to the next level. I have no clue as to how difficult this CFD process might be.