View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Yes, the rear parachute is slated for removal as part of the long term strategy. If I take it off now, I will have holes, pins, and different colored paint showing from under the wing. I am planning on having the car painted in the not too distant future, so the wing removal will probably coincide with that activity.

I am maintaining the AC, resale value and WAF dictate that. Also I know from driving my 88 Celica without AC that if I sweat in my clothes in my car we end up doing more loads of laundry, so it’s either use gasoline or water and electricity. (I know excuses excuses.) I do try to minimize the use of the AC and have found the AC makes a great “engine brake” for slowing down in gear instead of hitting the normal brakes. The grill block would get the car too warm even with the AC off. My thought on the velocity stack was that air would be traveling faster through it than through the punched aluminum, and installing it would let me 100% block a larger section of the aluminum mesh and maintain the same temperatures.

While we are on the AC topic, has anyone got their windows tinted with a UV reflective film to minimize the amount of heat entering the car? I notice that on a cloudy day when the sun suddenly pops out it quickly gets a lot hotter in the car, even if the outside temperature hasn’t changed. I feel like I am in a big greenhouse with all the low sloped glass.