View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
JETZcorp
EcoModding Lurker

The Dakota - '99 Dodge Dakota R/T
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

The Honda - '88 Honda CRX DX
90 day: 47.43 mpg (US)
I know that what I'm seeing here is no very scientific, but given that my commute is 90% highway at least, and therefore more biased toward aero than weight, that leads me to believe that the noticeable improvement in range (and coast-down) is due to the aero, the weather, or likely a combination of both. I don't see weather adding this much on its own; it certainly didn't last summer.

But, obviously the Ecomodder community is very difficult to sway, and that's great! So I tell you what, when I get another tailgate (gotta have one for ice chests, chainsaws, etc) I'll do some actual ABA testing. If the ~2mpg gain that the gauge seems to be predicting is related to the tailgate, it should be pretty obvious in an ABA, considering how many percent that comes out to.

As for safety, my rear brakes would struggle to stop a tricycle, so I don't see the rears locking. And if they try, I have ABS back there, which has never been called on. The fronts, which don't have ABS, most decidedly have locked up before. Big smoke, very scary.