View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktacoma View Post
I am from fairbanks and I actually found this thread because im wondering how many people do we have from AK on the site?? But I second the block heater and oil pan heater and tranny heater although I have never lived in a warmer climate so we use autostarts and dont call me a ***** cat because you can come start my car at -40...
I grew up in Anchorage, and attended college at UAF. As far as I can recall, we winterized our cars more-or-less the same way, for either place. Block heaters were the norm, as was an oil pan heater, and a transmission pan heater. During the winter, I placed cardboard in front of the radiator to cover 80% of the area. I also mixed and used 60/40 coolant (50/50 being what is "recommended"). I remember wandering around a hardware store in Fairbanks one day in '96, finding a battery blanket heater, and thinking how awesome that find was. Of course, I bought and installed it. We used a good set of studded snow tires (studless winter tires being non-existent back then).