View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #27 (permalink)
adam728
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda3 - '08 Mazda 3 S
90 day: 29.65 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '13 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 46.16 mpg (US)

Wife's - '12 GMC Terrain SLE-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMike View Post
Here's my neurons firing:

Idling - Jeeps; especially Wranglers, will lose more gas Idling than traveling at 80MPH. I remember being on a date, and the car was on idle as we spoke. I kid you not . .. you can watch the gas gauge go to zero quickly.

<What I will start doing next week> Turning off of the engine to prevent Idling at red lights (especially those lights that I know take forever).

Soft tops are bad - Soft tops actually act like kites or drag chutes. Just think of a tent being blown around in the wind; not to mention they are loud (Loss of hearing occurs over 70 MPH).
I have to disagree with some of this.

First, it's not possible for the engine to burn gas at a faster rate when at idle than at 80 mph. If the injectors were dumping more fuel in at idle than the thing would be running insanely rich. For me 4 hours @ 60 mph = empty tank. I've been on wheelin trips (rock crawling) where my Jeep has run 8-9 hours in a day and hardly used 1/4 tank.

Like someone else said, sailcloth. I had both a hard and soft top, saw zero differnce in mpg between them. I'd also say the soft top was no louder until around 65-70 mph.

Anyway, now back to your regularly schedualed thread....