View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #35 (permalink)
Talon
Builder

EngineCage

I have been making progress, honestly I have. I just haven't been getting posts up very well. I have the engine/trans up on the bench and propped to the correct angle. That took a grunt, but I lifted them up there by just grabbing the ends and picking it up. I think I like working with little engines. Anyway, once I got it set to the correct angle I started putting metal around it. The engine cage is what we have here. It is tacked together and I started welding it, but ran out of wire before I was done. Remember, the engine unit bolts to the rear of the passenger compartment with four bolts, as you can see in the pictures, I have the engine and cage beside of the passenger section, which looks kinda wonky in some of the pictures. This power unit has three mounts, I fabricated one, bought one and modified one. Now I need to get the three attached to the cage somehow. I also did a little doodling on a couple pictures to show what I am aiming at. The full width of the engine cage is 4 feet, the front wheels are 6 feet apart, so I should have room for the McPherson struts outside of the engine cage. The axles are going to be long. In the overall picture you can see that I should have plenty of room for an electronics box and battery beside of the engine. I still need to sort out a shift linkage to convert the original solid linkage to a cable setup. I also need to find hubs, LCA struts for the rear. I can probably build the lower A-Arm, and I may even decide to do a double A-Arm coilover setup, but I do need hubs yet.

Anyway, work progresses. This wouldn't be any fun at all I already knew exactly what I was doing.

TALON §
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineCage1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	13165   Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineCage-FrontEngineMount.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	13166   Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineCage-FrontTrannyMount.jpg