View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #58 (permalink)
Shortie771
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastNLoose View Post
I have an idea of using an aftermarket fan kit that uses a probe on the radiator and an electric choke of a carburetor. The kit trips a relay at a specific temp, run the lead from the relay to the choke coil. Not sure how much force the coil has, but may work if the pressure is equal across the louvers. The temp probe is pushed between 2 rows in the radiator. This just came to me while reading this thread. I may look into this in the fall.
The reason I didn't do anything like that is because I wanted to keep things as simple and as cheap as possible. I did not want to rely on electronics or motors to control the operation, because if something goes wrong it is too much trouble to fix. Imagine if the sensor fails and you are stuck with a closed grill block that does not open... These are some things I was trying to avoid. Yes, if you get everything to work properly it will be far better than my simple build. The main disadvantage I have is head winds... If I encounter a strong headwind the grill block will close soone, but at the same time more air is still flowing under the car so cooling has yet to be an issue.

It sounds like you have come up with good idea and I look forward to seeing it come to life. I really hope everything works out with it

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI