View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #332 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

Did the car come with an owner's manual? It will tell you what was originally specified for the transmission fluid. There are places you can find on-line that have PDFs of at least some of the Honda service manuals as well. You might be able to find the information in there too.

The previous-generation Civic transmissions were spec'ed for non-synthetic 10W40 engine oil. That's what I used, and it worked well. There is lots of debate about Honda MTF; one of the most-respected transmission gurus I know of (Mista Bone, who it seems is now only hanging out at dseries.org) says that the current formulation is too thin and should not be used on the old transmissions.

On the previous-generation Civic parts diagrams, there is a typo. They have the wrong output flange seal listed for one side. The ID of the seal is too large, and the trans fluid leaks out very very quickly. I don't know if that error carries over to the 94s.

A ripped axle boot will lead to CV joint problems. By the time you notice the boot, the grease already has dirt in it which will grind away the working parts of the joint. Replacing the boot is a stop-gap at best.

-soD