View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Hello! The boards will be here in about 5 more days I think. I just got an aluminum plate tonight from Ebay. 12" x 24". Not the most space conserving, but that's OK. Tonight I'm also doing the power section layout, and figuring out where all the holes go in the aluminum plate. Then maybe tomorrow I'll write the gcode.

Also, the 250 feet of 10 gauge 3 wire (plus a ground wire) got here. It's the direct bury kind. I'm running that from the shop to the outside of my house, and I'll plug in our 3 window air conditioners to it. It was 110 today I think. You can actually feel your eyelids burning in the shade. It's a very weird feeling. Also, I was racing a road runner today in the car. Those things are pretty quick. Also, my son made a trap, and it actually caught a weird desert squirrel creature today.

Also, I got some of those solar panel connector plug things. I'm going to do 4 parallel strings of 5 panels each, which makes for a voltage at peak power of 175vDC at around 40 amps. I could have done 2 strings of 10 panels, but a peak voltage of 450v was going to be a problem for the off the shelf "universal input" AC-DC for the control voltage that I ordered yesterday. It can take any DC voltage from like 110VDC up to 370vDC, and puts out 15v for the control board and powering the igbt driver. Oh ya! All the parts for populating the control board and the driver board arrived today. And I already have the igbt half bridge that will function as the switch/freewheel diode in the buck converter.

Also, I ordered a combiner box that can take up to 12 inputs and can have a single 1000V 1000amp output I believe. It's a monstrosity, but was really cheap on ebay.