View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #127 (permalink)
christofoo
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
Full Kammback tuft testing

Extended the Kammback (rear windshield cover) to the rear bumper, also I added a baffle to stop flow from the side, (also I found a less bumpy road).

So this configuration is:
  • Full Kammback
  • Rear wheel skirt
  • Baffles between the car and the box, both horizontal and vertical.
  • Aero Hitch Box
  • EDIT: also I put the passenger side mirror back on, since I'm blocking 90% of the rear-view with the cardboard

Results:

I think that looks a lot better. The full Kammback always seemed like the solution that just had to work.

Video, cruising speed ranges a little from 30-40 MPH:

Well, I mean it still isn't perfect. I still need to find a form that fixes the turbulence on the side of the Aero Hitch Box, if possible.

But I think my next task is Kammback fab. (And duct tape gum removal... any pointers?)

EDIT: I forgot to mention; while I was scouting the road for this test this morning, I saw the sweetest full aero shell on a recumbent bike (velomobile). I wish I'd had time to snap a picture, but it was headed the other way. I think it was going at least 30 MPH on a very slight uphill. I wished I could have stopped the guy and asked if he made it himself, and if it was for a competition or not. I was so jealous.

Last edited by christofoo; 06-11-2013 at 01:11 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christofoo For This Useful Post:
bespurcell (01-16-2015), NachtRitter (06-10-2013), PaleMelanesian (06-11-2013)