View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #129 (permalink)
christofoo
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
thoughts on testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I do not suppose that you could actually generate smoke?
Well, it's been on my mind... I'm not sure how practical or workable this is though.

My pet idea is salvage an ultra-sonicator from a humidifier, apply it to fluorescent chalk instead of water, get a powerful blower and duct it into a 1" diameter vacuum cleaner hose, or something like that. Strap it to the roof, run the strap around through window cracks so it can be manipulated from the cab. But the hose would alter the air flow. Routing along the base of the front windshield would be the best compromise for on-road test. Hmm. Maybe I could use a 12V air compressor and make it with smaller air hose instead of the blower and vacuum cleaner hose.

Better yet, if I could wait for a day with a 30 MPH steady wind and minimal gusts I could find a place to park the car, preferably a wide-open lot, and use nature's wind-tunnel, and put the 'smoke' generator on a wand. Also need a weather vane, and preferably an anemometer.

I can't see it coming together for me though. Which is a shame, the amount of duct-tape and cardboard optimization that could be performed in the space of an hour in a parking lot could be phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Googone for the duct tape goo. I used it on my 1998 Civic paint job... no problems. In this vid, things look better. But I do see two things worth thinking about, in my mind. Looks like one tuft on the hitch box is being sucked down into the gap between the car and the box. Also looks like a few tufts at the end of the trunk lid are as well. Am I right? Also, gonna try a coast down test before building the Kamm? Seems prudent to invest that time before investing the time in fabrication.

But it's all really impressive! I'm hopefully going to get to do some testing myself today. I won't have video, but I hope to have interesting results and a pic of the rear box cavity I am testing.

Cheers!
Coast-down is in the works. I'd have to work out logistics but I might try a cardboard Kamm A-B-A. TBD. I don't think we're talking about a ton of fab investment for the Kamm though, nowhere near as much for the AHB itself.

Back to the tufting at hand, I agree there is some air getting pulled down in between the box and the car. The bottom and right side were baffled, but the left side was not. Oops?

Seeing the air flowing into the gap might be an indicator that the full Kammback, in quenching most of the rear-windshield turbulence, was successful in increasing the base pressure across the whole area. Definitely something I'll be paying attention to moving forward.

The solution I'm gravitating toward is a vinyl gap filler around the bottom and sides, probably velcro attachment behind the taillights, the rear-belly-pan (when I get to that), and around the front of the Aero Hitch Box. Pending tufting... certainly that should annihilate all the flow through the gap, if I'm lucky the full side gap filler might also clean up the flow on the side of the AHB.

Final thought; my food tastes better today. Really.