View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
You might need to make this mod switchable from the driver's seat.

At least on Hondas, I believe right after start the ECM commands full open then full closed to the valve and sets whatever the wiper pot reads as full open/closed values... a sort of recalibration each time its started. If yours does something similar, you might need to splice in a switch to your resistor circuit so you can turn it on after starting.
I've given it quite a bit of thought, and might end up putting in a toggle switch today or tomorrow. To be honest, I don't know if the engine computer only does a start-up recal, or if it continually monitors the sensor circuit for errors.

I have also bought an MPGuino, and will be installing that once it arrives. I'm not terribly trusting of my UltraGauge's MPG readout right now.

Also considering installing some sort of MAF sensor, and building a circuit to convert MAF to MAP. The increased EGR valve opening is causing MAP sensor readings to be somewhat higher than normal, causing the engine computer to pull back ignition timing, which would explain why my UltraGauge now reports spectacularly awful instantaneous MPG readings (11 MPG - 12 MPG) when I am slowly (<40 MPH) going up inclines. It used to report something along the lines of 18-20 MPG.