View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
SentraSE-R
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
My car DVR setup & results

I started with a $91 unit from Geekbuying.com that clips to your rear view mirror, because California law doesn't allow window -mounted devices outside of the lower left corner of your window. Mirrors are exempted. This is what my unit looked like.

I wanted a unit that has an auxiliary camera mounted on the rear window, and this unit has that. Most units with rear cameras take photos of the occupants.

The geekbuying unit had some issues. The auxiliary camera's lens quality dropped off a cliff one day, like the lens elements delaminated. And the audio recording quality was always poor - like a blatty loud-exhaust Civic riding inside the cab.

So I replaced my mirror-mounted unit with a $55 eBay car DVR that mounts in front of the mirror, where it doesn't block my forward view at all.

Here's what it looks like with the mirror tilted out of the way.

And here's a view of the auxiliary camera (the cylindrical device under the third brake light).

You can see some of the results in my Hall of Shame videos. f you want to read the circumstances with each video, click on the link at the top of the video.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 06-12-2013 at 02:22 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (06-24-2016), poomanchu (02-06-2014)