View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
ecogolf
EcoModding Lurker

Ecogolf - '91 Volkswagen Golf 1.3
90 day: 38.97 mpg (US)
New here; 1991 Volkswagen Golf 1.3

Hey Guys,

I m new here. Had roamed the forum previously, and have now decided to become a member. I find it very nice to see what people can accomplish here by modifying their vehicles.

I've just gotten a 1991 VW Golf mark 2. It's a 1.3L with fuel injection. The 1.6 of that age had a carburetted engine. I'm willing to try and do some modifications and see how fuel efficient we can get her.

So far I did one fuel load, comparing the liters at the gas station with the odometer in the car. On about 42 liters I got 16.1 KM/l or 37.87 MPG. Think that is a descent baseline for a car of her age.

I noticed I will have to change the tires soon. Anything specific you guys can recommend? Now it has 185/60 on 14 inch alloys. There is room in the wheel wells to go a little bit higher to get the RPM down. Also I think I can get away with 175 width on the same rims. I was looking at Continental EcoContact 5's because they got descent reviews here in Europe. Any suggestions??

Also, if I may ask, what kind of modifications whould you guys recommend to do first. If d want to get the biggest increase in MPG for the least effort first... I ll probably have to try and get a 5 speed box instead of the 4-speed it has now. Im getting about 3100 RPM @ 62 MPH.

Kind regards!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	golf.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	13217