View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
I'm gathering from the replies that Mythbusters didn't do that good of a job. I haven't watched the episode, But this isn't the first time I've heard of them not being quite correct; I'd heard discussion of an earlier episode - A bed-wetting one where if one would put a sleeping person's hand in warm water, They person sleeping would wet the bed in their sleep - And they said "Busted" On that one but I read more than a few comments saying that it does work. Perhaps that just doesn't work on every person.

For some of their episodes, I imagine they get the results right but in many, It seems the results just aren't right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
I'm writing about the episode, intending to post the final essay here, but for now, here's an excerpt:

"You missed one of the biggest hypermiling tips:don't drive more car than you need. The single largest contribution to my MPG was switching from a 16MPG truck to a 42MPG car. By doing this, I have increased my fuel economy by about ~263%"
Off-topic a bit, But buying a new car will have more of an impact on the environment than using a beat up sedan from the 80s for 20,000 miles or so I read. It's food for thought, Anyway.