View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
Are you a bikoholic or do you think it should beat the ninja performance wise (obviously) and still return acceptable FE ?
Probably a Bikeaholic. I was disappointed with the Ninjas high revs per mile and relatively poor mileage compared to my old TU250X and CBR250R. For the total of $1300 I will have in the GS500E I can sell the Ninja for $4K and bank the difference. I rode the GS through my neighborhood today in 6th gear at less than 2500 RPM and it handled it fine.
I think I can get close to the mileage of the Ninja with the GS (65-70 MPG). I know the GS accelerates at the same rate with much lower engine RPM. 55 MPH on the Ninja was close to 6k RPM, on the GS it's about than 4500 RPM.
I got close to 60 average on my old Vulcan 500 so I don't think my expectations are unreasonable. With the speedo reading off the front wheel on the GS, sprocket changes do not affect the speedometer. Not so on the Ninja.
I like the way the GS is laid out for access to the carbs. I like a center stand. I like two valves per cylinder and the combination of old tech and modern ignition systems. Both bikes weigh about the same. I also like the older tech stuff built in Japan when they were at their peak from about 1980 to 1995. The two stage carbs give you a sedate low end acceleration and plenty of power if you rev it up. I'll get a mileage figure soon.

regards
Mech