View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deezler
Master EcoModder

Bio Deezler (sold) - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 50.78 mpg (US)

The Beast. - '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
90 day: 12.86 mpg (US)
Turtle My TDI. (intro thread)

Hey all,

Big fan of the site. Originally bought my car for its combination of mileage, good looks, alternative fuel capability and power modding potential (With the last item a central goal). Why sacrifice any of those things? I love this car!

Lately, I am more concerned with mods for mpgs.

Anyway, here she is at a little car show we had at work last Friday. Just about every other car was a gas guzzling beast....

Not too many takers for the biodiesel pamphlets on the windshield there... And its hard to see but I taped up the original EPA window sticker with 42/49 ratings. I think that a bit too cheeky for some of the older guys.

Several elements of the car are completely counter to fuel saving goals. Went from stock 15s to 17" wheels with 225mm wide rubber (but at 45 psi). Installed 20mm spacers on the rear. Well, actually thats about it.

Decided a grill block was a great first step.

Stock:

Finished:

And back on the car: (the MACK logo was a temporary joke)

The left grill opening feeds my intercooler, so no way I'm gonna hurt the flow to that one. I did cut some vents in the fender well behind it though. Scangauge showing just about no effect on coolant temperature, and none on oil temp gage either. (I feel like they warm up a bit faster, but its also summer now...) Recent reading has me convinced that blocking the upper grill would help more. My engine air intake is located there, but I could figure out a solution.

I think I'll try folding in the passenger mirror as a start, and if I get really used to it, lop it off and fab a plate. Already have a great skidplate, since I am down about 2" in ride height from stock (I swear, I did it for the reduced frontal area....haha)

This is how I fill her up:

99.9% pure biodiesel from blend of feedstocks (mostly Soy).

Just chipped the ECU yesterday. Must be at least a 15% gain in power, and many users report a 1 or 2 mpg gain from improved tuning. Unreal! New injector nozzles waiting to go in also; optimized spray pattern yields more power, lower emissions, and also slight bump in economy under cruising conditions. Now, granted I'll have more trouble with right foot control now, but I am hoping for either no change or a slight bump in mpgs with these mods.

I know lots of TDI (ALH engine) owners can cruise in the mid 50 mpg range all the time, but I am pretty happy with the 45 in mixed (mostly highway) I am getting right now. Best of 48 mpgs on recent road trip. Keeping in mind pure biodiesel is reported to give a 10% drop in power and subsequently fuel economy... but I don't see that severe a drop by any means. A bigger truck might.

Anyway, thats my car! Would love to hear your comments and recommendations. I am surprised there arent more TDI drivers striving for ultimate fuel economy... It would be an awesome platform for a basjoos type machine.