View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Tuned in to my inner Frank Lee ('97 Ranger starter "rebuilt" for free)

After reading a post here I decided to try "rebuilding" my starter on the 97 Ranger. Frank Lee posted about "rebuild kits" being available. I asked at O'Reillys and they said they did not sell them. Being retired with extra time I decided to rip the starter out and see what it looked like inside.

3@13MM bolts and the nut holding the cable to the starter and it's in my hands, a box end wrench and a hammer with a piece of particleboard for a creeper, trucks high enough to get it from underneath.

I pulled the starter apart and was amazed at how little actual wear there was on the armature and brushes. Both were at least 90-95% with the armature showing almost no wear to the surface where the brushes contact. Everything came apart without issue. I polished the armature surface with some scotchbrite, filed the edges of the brushes to smooth them out, lubed the planetary gear reduction and both bushings, very lightly with some synthetic grease I had laying around.

THE DANG THING SOUNDS LIKE BRAND NEW!

Before it was noisy, I think it was the dry bushings and planetaries. When I started getting the solenoid clunk but no motor rotation I figured it was worth a try, didn't cost a dime

Thanks Frank, I guess this old worn out Mech has a few tricks left up his sleeve, saved me at least 100 bucks and it will probably last me another 10 years. It's already 17 years old and it was a Motorcraft original (never rebuilt).

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 06-19-2013 at 10:42 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (06-19-2013), ChazInMT (06-19-2013), Frank Lee (06-20-2013), mcrews (06-20-2013), MetroMPG (06-19-2013), Xist (06-19-2013)