View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
AndrzejM
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
MPGuino mod for enhanced temperature range LCD

When I was planning to install my MPGuino and put display into an instrument cluster I wanted to install the smallest LCD I could find. So I bought 53x20mm LCD with enhanced temperature range. After mounting everything I've noticed that contrast is way off the level it should be. So I've started digging and found info that enhanced temperature range LCDs have contrast driven by negative voltage. I hooked up a small battery to provide negative voltage and everything started to look as it should be. But that wasn't the best solution so I decided to build a simple charge pump inverter. It works like a charm.

All you need is a few elements worth less than a soda can.
Schematic diagram:

Parts list:
2x BAT48 - Schottky diodes
2x 2uF - low ESR capacitors
1x 10uF - low ESR capacitor
1x 10k - 0.125W resistor
1x 4k7 - 0.125W resistor

The best thing is that you can still adjust contrast using MPGuino setup screen.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	negative.png
Views:	233
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	13275  

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrzejM For This Useful Post:
t vago (06-20-2013)